- Describe McCall Purnell.
- Why were Call and Louise able to be good
- What happened when Louise tried to tell
Call a joke?
- What do you think is a "waterman’s
- Who was Franklin D. Roosevelt and why
was he part of the joke?
- Describe the differences between Louise
What happened to Louise’s father many
Why has Caroline always been the center
of attention and Louise feels left out?
What was it like when they were
Describe how father treated each of her
What were men and women’s roles like
in those days?
What was Caroline’s gift?
Who was Mr. Rice and how does he fit
into the family’s life?
- Who was that German dictator that
Louise was referring to?
- Father pronounced himself
"useless" for which mother replied," Thank the
Lord". What do you think he meant?
- What happened on Dec. 7, 1941?
- What was it like on the Sabbath at the
- During class one day, what did Louise
propose to Mr. Price and why did
- How did Louise react to the
laughter? How did Caroline help?
- Why do you think Mr. Rice gave the
showy song to Betty Jean who could not
sing and Caroline the strange
- What did Louise say she needed more
than anything else?
- Why did the women hate the sea?
- Why do you think Grandma is so sour?
- What is Louise's biggest complaint
about the island?
- What does Grandma mean when she says,
"Whistling women and
crowing hens never come to no good end"?
- Who was the old man and why did Call's
Grandma know her?
- Who did Louise think he was and what
did she want to do?
- What happened at the old man's house?
- Why was Louise not very friendly
to the Captain?
- Create a data entry that Louise may
have written about Call and her
encounter with the Captain.
- When Caroline casually remarked that
Louise's fingernails were dirty after
progging for crab, why did
Louise go into a fit of rage?
- What was Louise ambivalent about?
- What secret plan did Louise develop to
escape her ambivalent feelings?
- What does Louise say are elements of
- On the next visit to the Captain, what
does Louise try to get him to talk about?
- Louise makes jokes about things all
the time but Call never gets them. How is
it that he gets the
- What did Call offer that Louise and he
would do for Captain ?
- The Captain offered to pay them what
was each characters response (Louise
- Why did Louise feel like a fool?
- What did the Captain say and do that
finally made Louise laugh?
- Why did Louise suddenly begin to like
- What happened when Louise tried to
return the tom cat to Auntie Braxton?
- What do you think the Captain meant
when he said "It's all right, Trudy, it's
me, Hiram. I'll
take care of you"?
- How did the Captain prove to Louise
that he was the real Hiram Wallace?
- What secret did the Captain reveal to
Call and Sara Louise?
- What was the problem they were faced
with and how did they plan solve it?
- What was Louise's reaction to the
- What was Caroline's plan when the
- What danger did Louise and her family
face? How did they survive?
- What was it that Louise had never and
who did she vow never to be like?
- What did the Hurricane of '42
- What happened to the Captain's house?
- What was it that Louise was not used
to and was upset by it?
- Ultimately, what did Louise's family
do to help the Captain?
- What was Grandma's reaction and
why? Louise's and why?
- What were Louise's two internal
- What announcement did the Captain
- What was Louise's high school like?
- How was Louise judging people's
- What caused Louise to get violent
- What did Caroline think Auntie Braxton
- How did Louise feel about what
Caroline thought and why?
- How did the Captain react?
- Why did Louise leave Auntie Braxton's
- What were the circumstances of Auntie
- What is "The Shadow"?
- What does this mean: "Who knows
what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
- Why did Louise feel alienated from
- What did the Captain decide to do?
- What did Grandma mean when she quoted
this from the Bible: " Romans nine
thirteen "As it is
written, Jacob Have I loved, but Esau have I hated"?
- How did Louise interpret the Bible
- What did Louise's parents decide to do
but Louise rejected adamantly?
- What did Call do unexpectedly?
- What do the following terms mean:
white sign pink sign
red sign buster
- What is the double meaning when Louise
thinks: "Males....always have a
chance to live no matter how
short their lives, but females, ordinary, ungifted
ones, just get soft
- What does this mean: "So as the
water nibbled away at our land, the water
nibbled away at our
- Why did Louise stop praying and going
- What were "the happiest
days" of Louise's life?
- Why did Mother decide to teach Louise
at home instead of sending her to
- Create a timeline for four historical
events from Chapter 16.
- Why did Louise have second thoughts
about finally leaving the island?
- When Call came back home, how did she
take the surprise that he revealed to
her and the Captain?
- What secret did Grandma reveal to
- What did Louise suggest to do for
- How did Grandma almost ruin Christmas
- What did the Captain mean when he
said:" It's good to be old...Youth is a mortal wound"?
- What advice did Captain give Louise?
- What does Louise want to do with her
- Why did Grandma hit Louise on the side
of the head with the Bible?
- Why did Louise get so angry at her
- What did Mother say that finally
helped Louise to decide to leave? Why?
- What would leaving allow Louise to be
able to do?
19 & 20
- When Louise went to the University of
Maryland her advisor called her to his
office, what did he advice
Louise to do?
- What did Louise do after hearing his
- What did Louise say was their most
pressing health problem?
- Who was Joseph
- What kind of a life will Louise have?
- What happened when she delivered the